Skip to main content

Apple ordered to not block Epic Games’ Unreal Engine, but Fortnite to stay off App Store

A district court denied Epic Games’ motion to temporarily restore Fortnite game to the iOS App Store, but also ordered Apple to not block the gaming giant’s ability to provide and distribute Unreal Engine on the iPhone-maker’s ecosystem in a mixed-ruling delivered Monday evening.

U.S. District Court Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers said Apple can’t retaliate against Epic Games by blocking the gaming firm’s developer accounts or restrict developers on Apple platforms from accessing the widely-used Unreal Engine.

“The record shows potential significant damage to both the Unreal Engine platform itself, and to the gaming industry generally, including on both third-party developers and gamers,” she said, adding that even as Epic Games violated App Store’s guidelines, it did not breach any contracts related to Unreal Engine and developer tools.

“Apple has chosen to act severely, and by doing so, has impacted non-parties, and a third-party developer ecosystem,” said Rogers.

But the ruling was not a complete win for Epic Games, which had also requested the sleeper hit title Fortnite to be restored on the iOS App Store. Rogers said the game will remain off the App Store unless Epic Games attempted to bring it back in accordance with App Store guidelines.

The Monday ruling caps — for now — the high-stake public battle between giants Apple and Epic Games over the fundamental rules of iPhone’s App Store. Epic broke Apple’s and Google’s app stores guidelines earlier this month when it provided Fortnite users on iOS and Android the ability to pay it directly. Apple and Google require developers on their platforms to use their respective payment processing systems and comply to parting with a commission — which for games, is a 30% of the transaction amount.

Epic’s move prompted Apple to remove Fortnite, perhaps the best selling mobile game to date, from its App Store. Anticipating what Apple might do, minutes after Fortnite was pulled from the App Store, Epic Games filed a lawsuit against Apple and kickstarted one of the weirdest — or boldest (depending on who you ask) — marketing campaign.

The following day, Apple informed Epic Games that, based on its breaches of the App Store guidelines and the developer program license agreement, it would be revoking all developer tools, which would preclude updates for other programs, including the Unreal Engine by August 28. Epic Games later filed a motion for an injunction against Apple.

More to follow…



from Apple – TechCrunch https://ift.tt/31rLuI8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Axeleo Capital raises $51 million fund

Axeleo Capital has raised a $51 million fund (€45 million). Axeleo first started with an accelerator focused on enterprise startups. The firm is now all grown up with an acceleration program and a full-fledged VC fund. The accelerator is now called Axeleo Scale , while the fund is called Axeleo Capital . And it’s important to mention both parts of the business as they work hand in hand. Axeleo picks up around 10 startups per year and help them reach the Series A stage. If they’re doing well over the 12 to 18 months of the program, Axeleo funds those startups using its VC fund. Limited partners behind the company’s first fund include Bpifrance through the French Tech AccĂ©lĂ©ration program, the Auvergne-RhĂ´ne-Alpes region, Vinci Energies, CrĂ©dit Agricole, BNP Paribas, Caisse d’Épargne RhĂ´ne-Alpes as well as various business angels and family offices. The firm is also partnering with Hi Inov, the holding company of the Dentressangle family. Axeleo will take care of the early stage in...